Halloween is just around the corner! That means it’s time to start thinking about your costume – as well as your family’s costumes. Read on for many family Halloween costume ideas. But first, the inspiration behind these family costumes.
During my pregnancy with my second child, these thoughts ran through my head.
How was I going to survive with a newborn and a 20-month-old?
Would I ever get to go to the bathroom alone again until the children leave for college?
Are my days of having a flat tummy gone for good?
Amidst the mommy worries, a new idea hit me. An idea that made my anxieties subside for just a bit, an idea that made me giggle with possibilities, an idea that made my upcoming title of “Mommy of two kids under two” just a bit more exciting.
What is such an idea one may ask?
That idea was that once I had two little children, I could plan themed costumes for the whole family! Sure, I could have dressed the whole family up when we just had one baby, but I never thought of that. I think I was too busy obsessing over all the adorable Pottery Barn costumes available for infants to come to such a conclusion.
These days, Halloween is big business in the retail world so the possibilities for family costumes were (and still are… two + years later) endless.
My idea soon became an obsession. I poured over websites, polled my blog readers, and obsessed over my choices for family Halloween costumes during most of my middle-of-the-night feedings. A theme was eventually chosen and when October 31st rolled around that year, my children (and their theme) were darling.
Last year, we went for a theme again and it turned out quite nice.
Just like at my house, other parents are getting into the Halloween spirit by donning Halloween costumes before heading out to local festivals or setting off to trick-or-treat in the neighborhood with their children. Many families find it fun to dress in a group theme. Below are some great family Halloween costume ideas you can use this year, devised in my middle-of-the-night Halloween planning sessions.
- Headed to a fire. Dressing up as a firefighter is a popular Halloween costume choice for boys. Turn this choice into a creative family theme by having one child be a firefighter and one child a dalmatian. Mom can be a flame while Dad serves as the fire hydrant. A stroller can even be outfitted to look like a fire engine.
- They’re creepy and they’re spooky. A perfect family costume for Halloween is dressing up as a famous family. The Addams Family, the Flintstones, the Beverly Hillbillies, and the Jetsons are all iconic families that would be perfect to re-create for Halloween.
- What’s all the “buzzz” about. Parents oftentimes feel like bee keepers, attempting to keep busy little bodies corralled all day. Why not transform such a thought into a Halloween costume? Mom and Dad can be the bee keeper while little ones can be the honey bees.
- Off to Neverland. Fairy tales make for a great theme for families wishing to sport similar Halloween costumes. Go with something fun such as Peter Pan, where the males in the family can be Peter Pan or Captain Hook and the females can be Tinker-bell or Wendy. Another way to use fairy tales as a Halloween theme is to incorporate a royal attitude, having adults serve as King and Queen while children are knights and princesses.
- Play Ball! Have a favorite sports team? Why not show some team spirit by turning a love for a sports team into a Halloween costume. Ideas range from dressing as football players, cheerleaders, or super-excited fans.
- Howdy Partner. Set the focus on the old West and have the family put on their best Western gear. Dad could play the Sheriff while the young boys in the family are the rowdy outlaws. Living in Texas, western supplies are easily available which makes this theme simple to create.
- Lights, Camera, Action! Hollywood is the mecca of Halloween costume themes. Smaller families can go as Lucy, Ricki, and baby Desi while bigger groups could portray The Incredibles. And what about Toy Story’s Buzz and Woody which are popular once again (not that they ever really left)? Mom could be Bo Peep while Dad portrays Mr. Potato Head.
Does your gang dress up in a group theme for Halloween? Leave a comment and share all your fun family costume ideas.
My little family of four has selected a theme for this Halloween. My husband actually came up with the idea – and it is fabulous! (So much for all those late nights scouring the internet for creative Halloween costume ideas!) We are trying to keep the theme under wraps until the 31st, but knowing me, I’ll most likely spill the beans weeks before the big event.
Yep, the idea is just that good.
OTHER HALLOWEEN COSTUMES YOU MIGHT LIKE: