Crockpot Chicken Tacos are one of the most simple no prep dinner meals that taste delicious and are always a crowd pleaser with the entire fam!
How to Make Chicken Tacos in the Crockpot
This recipe is honestly one of the most simple recipes that I ever make. The best part is, there is no prep required for this meal. Just grab all of the ingredients and put them into your crockpot! There are really only 3 main ingredients for this recipe:
- Chicken. You can use thighs or breasts. I like to use thighs in the crockpot because they turn out more moist than breasts. Chicken thighs have more fat than breasts which is one of the reasons they are more tender especially when you cook them in the slow cooker. I also like to brown the outside of the chicken thighs before putting them into the crockpot to bring out the flavor and lock in some of the moisture.
- Taco Seasoning. Buying the taco seasoning packets is great, super quick and convenient. But if you have a little bit of extra time, making your own is really delicious and a bit more versatile in flavor. Here is our homemade taco seasoning recipe.
- Salsa. The type of salsa you use in the recipe will really make the flavor. There are so many different types of salsas – chunky, smooth, blended, spicy, mild, more smoky…..on and on. Choose your favorite salsa for this recipe and you will love the flavor of the chicken!
How Long Do you Cook Chicken Tacos in the Crockpot?
Chicken is one of those meats that cooks really fast in the crockpot. If you are using chicken breasts, definitely don’t cook on high unless you like dry meat 😉 For this recipe, I like to cook on low for 3-4 hours. I always use a meat thermometer to check if my meat is done rather than just trying to guess. That way it doesn’t get overcooked.
My favorite thermometer is the Thermapen. I love this thermometer because it gives you a super accurate temperature in only 2 to 3 seconds, it has an auto-rotating display that flips right side up no matter the direction it is turned, and it is always on when you are using it and then sleeps when you set it down.
All poultry (breasts, whole bird, legs, thighs, wings, ground poultry) should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Chicken Taco Toppings
The best thing about tacos, is adding toppings! Some of our favorite crockpot chicken taco toppings are:
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Squeeze of lime
- Red Onion
I hope you enjoy this amazingly simple go to dinner! If you love crockpot chicken tacos, you might also like:
Pin This Recipe for Later
- 1 pound chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 8 medium tortillas corn or flour
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, yellow
- 2 cup shredded lettuce
- 5 tbsp Greek yogurt, plain
Add chicken thighs, taco seasoning and salsa to a crockpot.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
Once cooked through, shred chicken in the crockpot and mix well.
Grate the cheese; dice the avocado, tomatoes, and bell pepper.
Add chicken to tortillas, then add toppings as desired.
Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 1075mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g